ACTION MEMORANDUM FOR ALL AAS/SW REGION COMMANDERS AND PRESIDENTS: FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION TO ALL MEMBERS
SUBJECT: APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR AAS/SW SKYDIVING SCHOLARSHIPS
FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS
- The AAS/SW Executive Management Center is accepting nominations for a cash award introductory parachuting scholarship program to be available to all Silver Wings Civilians (Freshman through Senior) and to AS 300, 400, 500 or higher POC Silver Wings and Arnold Air Society Cadets beginning in late December 2019. Cadets must have completed field training to be eligible and must receive a safety briefing and counseling from their detachment that informs the Cadet of the increased risk involved with jumping and the possible consequences of injury.
- This year, five scholarships are available with a value not to exceed $300.00 per scholarship.
- SELECTION PROCESS
Candidates will be screened and competitively selected by the Executive Directors (EDs)
The following will be used to evaluate individuals:
- MANDATORY: Availability to use the cash award for parachute/jump training between December 2019 and June 2020
- MANDATORY: Member in good standing in Silver Wings or Arnold Air Society with dues fully paid at the time of application
- MANDATORY: Completion of an essay not to exceed 300 words explaining the reason parachute/jump training is desired
- MANDATORY: Unofficial transcripts that reflect a 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) GPA (or equivalent) or higher in any field of study
- MANDATORY: Students selected for this scholarship must agree to provide the EMC at email@example.com a photo of the skydive to aid in advertising for next year
- MANDATORY: SW Civilian Freshman through Senior or SW/AAS Cadet AS300 or AS 400 or higher with Field Training complete
- MANDATORY: All Cadets must receive a safety briefing and counseling from their detachment that informs the Cadet of the increased risk involved with jumping and the possible consequences of injury
Candidates will self nominate by sending the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org NOT LATER THAN midnight 31 December Pacific Time. Late submissions will not be accepted under any circumstances. NOTE: EACH APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED IN THE FORM OF AN E-MAIL WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE ORDER BELOW. ONLY ONE ATTACHMENT IS PERMITTED: AN UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT.
- APPLICANT NAME, MAILING ADDRESS FOR HOME OF RECORD (NOT COLLEGE ADDRESS), PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS
- NAME OF COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY, FIELD(S) OF STUDY AND CUMULATIVE GPA
- NAME OF CHAPTER OR SQUADRON AND AAS/SW LEADERSHIP OR STAFF POSITION HELD (IF ANY)
- NAME, RANK, PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS OF AFFILIATED DETACHMENT COMMANDER
- A STATEMENT THAT CONFIRMS THE CANDIDATE AGREES TO PROVIDE THE EMC A PHOTO OF THE JUMP FOR USE IN ADVERTISING THE PROGRAM
- A STATEMENT THAT CONFIRMS THE CADET (IF APPLICABLE) HAS RECEIVED SAFETY COUNSELING AND THAT THE DETACHMENT APPROVED THE APPLICATION. NOTE: PERSONAL INSURANCE WILL BE IN FORCE FOR THIS ACTIVITY AND AFROTC/AAS/SW ASSUMES NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER (APPLIES TO CADETS AND CIVILIANS). SUBMISSION OF AN APPLICATION INDICATES THE APPLICANT AGREES WITH THIS PROVISION.
- AIRPORT NAME (PARACHUTE TRAINING CENTER NAME), PHONE NUMBER AND E-MAIL ADDRESS WHERE THE APPLICANT WOULD LIKE TRAINING
- A 300 WORD OR LESS SUMMARY DESCRIBING WHY THE CANDIDATE WOULD LIKE TO BE SELECTED FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY
- A COPY OF AN UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT ATTACHED TO THE NOMINATING E-MAIL. NOTE: THIS IS THE ONLY ATTACHMENT PERMITTED AND IT MUST BE ATTACHED TO THE E-MAIL APPLICATION.
Program Execution: The EDs will inform Detachment Commanders of individuals selected to participate. The EDs will provide funds directly to the parachuting center selected by the student in his/her name. Funds will be for one jump and not to exceed $300.
Signed//DPW//20 Oct 2019
DANIEL P. WOODWARD
Brig Gen, USAF (Retired)
Co-Executive Director, Arnold Air Society and Silver Wings